Monday, February 1, 2010

Death

I'm not going to bull shit my way around this one, because being blunt about this is important: people of my generation take life for granted. I take my own life for granted. I wake up some mornings pissed off because I have an early class; I go to sleep upset because I didn't get the phone call or text message that I wanted; I walk through campus with my head down, dragging my feet because I'm tired; I sit through some lectures perusing facebook because I just don't want to pay attention. And it's horrible. It's time for a change...I need to fully appreciate what I have.

For my Sociology of Murder class we're reading a book called The Riverman by Robert Keppel. It's extremely interesting (if you're into this sort of stuff) but it's gruesome and terrifying. Keppel details the murder victims of Ted Bundy, then changes the story to Gary Ridgway and the Green River murders. This guy CONFESSED to 48 murders...which is besides the point, yet still disgusting. But it makes me think - why am I not living my life to the fullest every single moment I can?

I'm not expecting to die or be murdered anytime soon, but why do I sit around and complain or wish I had things better when my entire life is laying in front of me? On certain mornings, I wake up to this view out of my floor to ceiling windows. And I appreciate it, sure, but I should be in awe of it. Taking in every moment. I should be thanking my amazing family - every single day - because honestly, I wouldn't be where I am today without their support. Some people don't have a family to call their own. Some kids I know don't speak with one of their parents, and some have lost their parents in war or to sicknesses. Sometimes I want to kick myself for being so selfish.

Honestly, I just want to start appreciating life and all that is in store for me. In an ideal world, every moment of my life will be like this.

Joyous and full of love.

This is just me, being real and utterly disappointed in myself and the people of my age. We need to stop taking our lives for granted - because really, what are we doing worrying about what we're losing when we have everything to gain?

0 comments: