Sunday, January 3, 2010

if you would like to cry non-stop for two hours...

...watch My Sister's Keeper.

I loved it, although I sat on my couch drying my eyes for nearly the entire movie (in spurts of course).

This review, from The Hollywood Reporter sums up one view of the movie. I would recommend watching the entire movie - and not reading the rest of this review on the internet...I only included the portion that includes no *SPOILER ALERTS!*

"If you're going to make a weepy, there's no reason you can't make it with intelligence and insight as the makers of "My Sister's Keeper" have done. The audience manipulation -- if one wants to call it that -- comes from your understanding of these people and how this particular family operates in an atmosphere of love and mutual concern. The tragedy that forces its way into their midst is fought with tenacity, and the conflicts within the family are portrayed in such a manner that no one is a bad guy.

A film about a child with leukemia understandably has a small theatrical audience. Indeed, Jodi Picoult's novel, on which Jeremy Leven and director Nick Cassavetes' screenplay is based, might seem more at home on television, where illness, doctors and hospitals somehow feel less alarming. But "My Sister's Keeper" does benefit from a sagacious big-screen treatment: It allows for nuances and takes time to focus this story of an illness on all the people it affects."

DAMN, just thinking about it makes me wanna shed another tear. But, seriously, it's good. And it's beautiful too.

0 comments: